Can gum disease cause tooth loss? The truth is that gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, in its advanced stages can indeed make your teeth fall out. The reason is because gum disease destabilizes the gum tissue that holds our teeth in place. Without healthy gum tissue, our teeth cannot function properly or maintain a firm grasp within our mouths.
Gum disease prevention begins with catching it in its early stages. Here are some signs to watch for:
– Do your gums appear to be receding? That is, are they pulling back away from your teeth exposing more areas of your teeth?
– Is brushing and flossing painful, with blood spots often being found on your brush and floss?
– Do your gums bleed all the time, often for no reason at all?
– Are your gums discolored and sensitive? Do they look extremely red and swollen?
– Are your teeth loose or constantly changing their alignments?
– Do you take any medications that can increase your risk for gum disease?
– Do you employ any bad habits that can increase your risk for gum disease? This includes smoking and chewing tobacco.
Gum disease can be treated. Douglas Hauck DDS, Inc. remains committed to your oral health, and you are welcome to book an appointment with us by calling (949) 729.9950. Stop by our dentist office in Newport Beach, California, and Dr. Douglas Hauck and our team will give you the treatment you need. Make the change you seek in yourself today!